Monday, February 14, 2011

Cinnamon/Chocolate Rolls. Valentine's-Style.

A few weeks ago, I made Novel Eats' fabulous vegan cinnamon/chocolate rolls.  I decided to repeat the recipe and send some to work with the hubs.  Since it was Valentine's Day, I wanted to do something a little fun and special and so I decided to make them into hearts.  I had the basic idea of what I wanted to do, but because I wanted to check and ensure that it would not be a complete waste of time by trying this idea, I did a quick google search and found this and went for it.  I've got to say that these were a success.  Here's how they turned out:




To roll into hearts, instead of rolling the dough into one pinwheel, you just roll halfway to the center from each end.  For best results, make sure that the dough is the same thickness on each end.

Then cut into even-sized portions, place on pie dish, and give the bottom of each heart a good pinch.

These mini ones reminded me of angry gorillas.



Cinnamon heart rolls.


Chocolate heart rolls.



Next time, I'd let them cool a bit before I iced them, but we were in a bit of a hurry this morning.  I'd pipe the icing right along the bread's own heart shape.  These rolls were made the night before, then chilled overnight and allowed to rise for a good 40 minutes before baking them this morning.

2 comments:

  1. They look yummy Heidi... great job!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do you have the Novel Eats cinnamon roll recipe anymore? I have made them several times before, but when I just went to look at the recipe again it was locked/protected. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete