Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Please Don't Pour it in Your Loafers

Several months ago I tried Heidi's Split-Pea Soup recipe and we definitely enjoyed it. While I enjoy the flavors she suggests, I'm NOT a fan of cooking my lentils and split peas for only 20-30 minutes. That texture kills me. I also don't like having to take the extra step of blending, even though I have a hand blender and my awesome Vita-Mix. I'm just so tired, so if I can possibly eliminate the need to wash an extra dish or appliance, laziness will surely win in order to keep my kitchen sparkling.

A few days ago I made a crock pot variation of her pea soup that has been a wonderfully easy recipe to prepare while the boys are eating their breakfast or snacks. This is ultra-fast, at least in preparation, but not the cook time. Luke and I have been making this together at least once a week, along with Chuck Williams' Country French Bread in our bread machine for a delicious dinner!

Mmmmm.....so good.


Place in crock pot:
One onion, chopped
Approximately two cups of green split peas, rinsed and picked over
One handful of baby carrots
About twice the amount of water as there are ingredients

Cook on high for 4-5 hours (I think that's right. You know how these crock pot recipes are!).

Salt and pepper to taste. Top with drizzle of good-quality olive oil, a good dash of paprika, and chopped scallions. Lemon juice and zest is great, too.

Here it is with a slice of Panera's Tomato Basil bread. I had half a loaf in the freezer, so it was pulled for the occasion. That Sweet Streusel topping keeps me coming back for more!

1 comment: